Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Support

At the opera last friday I ran into a friend from my choir. His roommate, also a singer, was there too. We were discussing the opera and I said I preferred to say only positive things which surprised the roommate.

The way I see it, if you don't like a situation you can either try to remove that which you don't like or support that which you do like. I like the latter better. If you support what you like and others agree then this is continued. The rest can either get left behind or support this idea. Those who do get left behind can either attempt to tear down that which they don't like or join back in. And so on. There is some balance between keeping a good thing going and losing freedom and a sense of self, and I don't know where that is.

In music only the supportive approach can work.

At its best, a heierarchical society is like music. It is based upon support, and it is this support that gives peoples relationships meaning. At its worst it is an unstable equilibrium of men standing on the faces of their brothers.

Erin

2 comments:

Laura, Queen of Mars said...

True dat. Nothing is more important than finding the people in your life with positive energy, and keeping them around you all the time.

And does that mean that you're an anarchist, too?

Erin Sheldon said...

Anarchist....I hadn't thought of it that way. I like stuff from that and libertarianism etc. but I don't identify with any particular political group.

Actually, I really don't want this blog to become political at all, I'm going to try to focus on just stuff that is happening to me and pictures I took and random thoughts.

Erin