Monday, February 11, 2008

Job Update + Concert this week

Job Hunt
I've been looking for jobs the last few months. I applied to 25 or so of the listed astrophysics jobs, essentially all those which I thought fit me.

I'm on the "short list" at three places currently: Pittsburgh, Yale, and Brookhaven national lab. Each place makes a short list of 5 or so people for their job and bring them in for an interview.

I've interviewed at Pitt and Yale and both went well, and I interview at Brookhaven in a couple of weeks. For those not familiar, Brookhaven is a national lab on Long Island. National labs are government funded science labs. This is different from a university in that there are no students, but they do have tenure track positions like the one for which I applied. I would be the first astrophysicist hired at the lab. They have traditionally focused on high energy and nuclear physics, but they are branching out.

There is no set timescale, but I would expect offers to come out in a month or two. I'll keep everyone posted.

Concert
We have a concert at St. Ignatius of Loyola. This is part of a series of concerts called Sacred Music in a Sacred Space. We sing at 7 and are followed by the choir of St. Ignatius at 8. We are exploring the development of sacred choral concerti in Russian music, and they will begin their concert with such a concerto by Schnittke.

St. Ignatius of Loyola
980 Park Avenue, at East 84th Street (on the southwest corner).
7pm

Update on the stolen wallet: So far all is well, I got my cards canceled and there have been no odd occurrences with my bank account or anything. It was surprisingly easy to deal with this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! Hope it all works out the way you hope.
I will also be singing in uur Easter Cantata this year(alas in English). Who would have known! LOL
Hope yours goes well!
Mom